Stout French Toast With Bourbon Cream Cheese Frosting
This french toast recipe is probably a bit more work than you’re used to, but I promise that it will be worth it!
By Mairyn Chorney on Jan. 30, 2017
Egg Batter Ingredients
- 1/2 cup stout
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 oz bourbon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 loaf braided challah bread cut into 1 1/2″ slices
- butter for cooking
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips or blueberries for garnish
- Beat cream cheese, butter and salt in a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add bourbon and mix until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low; add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and mix until fully incorporated.
- If mixture feels a bit loose or if a sweeter filling is desired, add an additional tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until a spreadable frosting consistency is reached.
If preparing in advance, or if there happens to be leftovers, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Create a pocket in each slice of bread by using a paring knife to cut horizontally into the bottom crust.
- Carefully fill each bread pocket with 2 tablespoons or so of cream cheese filling.
- Thoroughly whisk together all batter ingredients. Place each slice in egg batter, allowing to soak for 10 seconds per side.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, place prepared slices into skillet to brown.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, adjusting heat as needed, until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet in a 200°F oven to keep warm while cooking remaining slices.
- Serve warm, topped with maple syrup and berries or chocolate chips, alongside a breakfast stout.
Shared from Beer Bitty.
Home Brewing: How to Make Kombucha & Kombucha Beer/Ale
What is Kombucha, how do you make it, what does it have to do with beer, and why is this super food getting so popular? Everything you need to know about this fermented drink and it’s antioxidant-rich, probiotic qualities…
Caramel Apple Beer Bread
Damn this bread for being so easy and far more than worth the “effort” it takes.
Chocolate Stout Red Velvet Cupcakes
These red velvet cupcakes are the perfect gift to give your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day.