The Ultimate Guide to Pairing Beer with Food
What are the best foods to eat with beer? This pairing guide will teach you how to pair beer with any meal, food or snack!
By Clara Jaide on Mar. 24, 2020
Are you hosting a dinner tonight and looking for the perfect beer to pair with your steak and potatoes? Or maybe you’ve made some new beer snob friends that you want to impress by ordering the perfect brew to pair with your buffalo wings on wing night. Or you have a bunch of leftover beer from the weekend and you’re just wondering what tastes good with beer? Lucky for you, as with all things beer, JustBeer has your back.
What foods pair well with beer?
Truthfully, you can pair beer with just about anything, depending on the style. But we’ll break it down for you in a quick reference chart on how to pair beer based on style:
The Best Food Pairings for Beer by Style
- Amber / Red Ales: Fried foods; pulled/smoked pork, jerk chicken, pizza
- Brown Ales: Hearty foods; steak / dark meats, sausage, sushi, fish/seafood
- India Pale Ales (IPAs): Heavy / Fatty foods; deep-fried meats, salty foods
- Light lagers: Spicy food, burgers, salads
- Dark Lagers: Sausage / dark meats, burgers, pizza
- Porters: smoked meats, barbecue, chilli, braised meats
- Stouts: roasted/smoked meats
- Wheat beers: Spicy food and fruity desserts
An even better way to pair beer would be based on the beers flavour profile. There are six flavour profiles of beer, match one of them to flavours of your food to narrow it down for the ultimate dining experience. Here’s a quick reference chart for how to pair beer based on the flavour profile.
The Best Food Pairings for Beer by Flavour Profile
- Crisp & Clean Beers: seafood, grilled chicken, salads, spicy foods…
- Hoppy & Bitter Beers: spicy foods (Indian / Mexican cuisine), rich/fatty foods, fried foods, aged cheeses
- Dark & Roasty Beers: meats; poultry, pork, seafood
- Malty & Sweet Beers: vegetables; root vegetables, bold cheeses, tomato-flavoured/curated meats
- Smoky Beers: smoked meats, pork, raw fish/sushi
- Fruity or Spicy Beers: light seafood/fish; lobster, crab, mussels, chicken, turkey
- Sour, Tart & Funky Beers: duck, pork chops, chicken thighs, light meats, fruity desserts
Click here to see the Full-Size Beer & Food Pairing Guide.
The Ultimate Guide to Pairing Beer with Any Type of Food
Meat & Beer Pairing Guides
Fast / Finger Food & Beer Pairings
Beer and Snacks Pairing Guides
Seasonal / Holiday Food & Beer Pairing Guides
Beer Pairings for Events
Beer Pairings for a Baby Shower (Beer and Diaper Party)
German Sausages: Wurst is the Best
Whether you call them beer brats, German sausages or bratwurst these sausages are the best. They are a great summer food because they are quick and easy to make plus they leave room for so much creativity. Find your own style and enjoy!
7 Foods That Pair Perfectly With Stouts and Porters
Even though there are obvious differences between the two types of beer, dark stouts and porters tend to match similar types of food.
The Best Craft Beer and Food Pairings for Christmas Dinner
Craft beer is a great partner for many of your favourite Christmas dishes. Check out the best beer pairings for Christmas dinner.
The Best Pizza and Beer Pairings
From Hawaiian to Meat Lovers, pizza flavours and toppings are endless. So are beer styles! This makes it really easy to pair your favourite pizza with your best craft brew. When you’re planning your next pizza night, here are 5 tasty beer and pizza pairings to consider.
Bruins, Blues and Brews: The 7 Best Beer and Snack Pairings to Try For Game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals
We have you covered with the ultimate comfort food and beer pairings for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, no matter who you’re cheering for. And let’s be real, you’re just watching the game for the snacks.