There’s A New Best Beer in America
Every year for eight years Pliny the Elder has been Zymurgy Magazine’s #1 beer in America, but the streak is over and a new beer is now #1.
By Shira Kogut on Jun. 20, 2017
Move over Pliny the Elder!
We still love you, but Zymurgy readers have named Bell’s Two Hearted Ale as the “Best Beer in America“ for their 2017 contest. Zymurgy Magazine is THE magazine for homebrewers, so this is a HUGE deal for Two Hearted. It’s like winning an Oscar for an actor. Your own peers voted that you are the best!
“The Best Beers in America survey reveals which beers are leaving the biggest impression on the minds—and mouths—of these discerning beer drinkers.”
-Gary Glass, Director of American Homebrewers Association
Readers were asked to submit their 20 favorite beers that are sold in the US. Bell’s and Founders each have two beers in the top-ranked beers category, so they must be doing something right. Michigan is obviously a place to keep your eye on for high quality local craft beer.
“This is an incredible honor for us. We got our start as homebrewers—that’s how my dad (Larry Bell who started the brewery in 1985) got going—so we really identify with the homebrewing community. We take a lot of that spirit into what we do today.”
-Laura Bell, CEO of Bell’s Brewery
The Home Brewers Association has the complete list of Zymurgy’s Best Beers in America up on their site. If you are a homebrewer and would like to learn how to brew some of the winning beers, the AHA also provides recipes in Zymurgy.
Here are the Top 10 for each category:
Top-Ranked Beers (T indicates Tie):
- Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
- Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Founders Breakfast Stout
- 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
- Bell’s Hopslam
- Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) (T6)
- The Alchemist Heady Topper (T6)
- Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA (T8)
- Sierra Nevada Celebration (T8)
- Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mich.
- Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif. and Mills River, N.C.
- Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Richmond, Va., and Berlin, Germany
- Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, Calif.
- Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
- Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Calif. and Chicago, Ill.
- Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
Top-Ranked Beer Portfolios (T indicates Tie):
- Stone Brewing (31 beers)
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc. (27 beers)
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (25 beers)
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (24 beers)
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (22 beers) (T5)
- Lagunitas Brewing Company (22 beers) (T5)
- Boulevard Brewing Co. (21 beers) (T7)
- Founders Brewing Co. (21 beers) (T7)
- Avery Brewing Co. (19 beers)
- New Glarus Brewing Co. (18 beers) (T10)
- Odell Brewing Co. (18 beers) (T10)
If I B U, I’d Seriously Read More
Alberta Small Brewers Invited to the Roundhouse Winter Craft Beer Festival
The Roundhouse Winter Craft Beer Festival showcases some of Ontario’s best craft brewers. This year they will also be opening the doors to members of the Alberta Small Brewers Association paving the path to a more unity Canadian Craft Beer Industry.
Calgary Craft Beer: It’s LITERALLY ‘On The Map’
Tourism Calgary, the Alberta Small Brewers Association, and Banded Peaks’ Colin McLean had a meeting of the minds and created a printed craft beer map for your beer-finding pleasures!
Red Deer Brewery Takes Second at the World Beer Cup
Open Road by local Alberta Brewery, Troubled Monk, takes second place of 81 beers entered in the American-style Brown Ale category at the World Beer Cup.
MobCraft Beer Update – What Happened After Shark Tank
See how MobCraft faired before, during and after they entered the Shark Tank.
Beer Lovers, Sign The Axe The Beer Tax Petition
Beer lovers UNITE! Join Beer Canada and beer fans across Canada to prevent another hike in beer prices. Tell the federal government how you feel about their increasing federal taxes on beer. Need more info before you sign the Axe The Beer Tax Petition? Get it right here!