There’s A New Best Beer in America
Every year for eight years Pliny the Elder has been Zymurgy Magazine’s #1 beer in America, but the streak is over and a new beer is now #1.
By Shira Kogut on Jun. 20, 2017
Move over Pliny the Elder!
We still love you, but Zymurgy readers have named Bell’s Two Hearted Ale as the “Best Beer in America“ for their 2017 contest. Zymurgy Magazine is THE magazine for homebrewers, so this is a HUGE deal for Two Hearted. It’s like winning an Oscar for an actor. Your own peers voted that you are the best!
“The Best Beers in America survey reveals which beers are leaving the biggest impression on the minds—and mouths—of these discerning beer drinkers.”
-Gary Glass, Director of American Homebrewers Association
Readers were asked to submit their 20 favorite beers that are sold in the US. Bell’s and Founders each have two beers in the top-ranked beers category, so they must be doing something right. Michigan is obviously a place to keep your eye on for high quality local craft beer.
“This is an incredible honor for us. We got our start as homebrewers—that’s how my dad (Larry Bell who started the brewery in 1985) got going—so we really identify with the homebrewing community. We take a lot of that spirit into what we do today.”
-Laura Bell, CEO of Bell’s Brewery
The Home Brewers Association has the complete list of Zymurgy’s Best Beers in America up on their site. If you are a homebrewer and would like to learn how to brew some of the winning beers, the AHA also provides recipes in Zymurgy.
Here are the Top 10 for each category:
Top-Ranked Beers (T indicates Tie):
- Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
- Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Founders Breakfast Stout
- 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
- Bell’s Hopslam
- Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) (T6)
- The Alchemist Heady Topper (T6)
- Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA (T8)
- Sierra Nevada Celebration (T8)
- Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mich.
- Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif. and Mills River, N.C.
- Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Richmond, Va., and Berlin, Germany
- Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, Calif.
- Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
- Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Calif. and Chicago, Ill.
- Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
Top-Ranked Beer Portfolios (T indicates Tie):
- Stone Brewing (31 beers)
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc. (27 beers)
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (25 beers)
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (24 beers)
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (22 beers) (T5)
- Lagunitas Brewing Company (22 beers) (T5)
- Boulevard Brewing Co. (21 beers) (T7)
- Founders Brewing Co. (21 beers) (T7)
- Avery Brewing Co. (19 beers)
- New Glarus Brewing Co. (18 beers) (T10)
- Odell Brewing Co. (18 beers) (T10)
If I B U, I’d Seriously Read More
Carpe Beerum (seize the beer!) – 10 Ways To Be A Beer Festival Ninja
And Get The Most Out Of Your Calgary International Beerfest Experience This Weekend!
VIDEO: Beer recommendations JUST for you
We’ve been working hard to bring the world of craft beer to you; check out our latest features and updates with this video.
Contest Winners for tickets to the Calgary International Beer Festival from Just Beer
This is the list of winners; thank you to all who participated!
CONTEST *CLOSED*: Be the Brewer 2017
Ever dream of brewing your own beer in your own brewery? Now’s your chance to ‘Be the Brewer’ (before you quit your day job…) Enter now and #BeTheBrewer