The roots of our brewery date back to May 1892. It was a time when every brewer brewed its own special beer. It was no different in Bellegem, a rural village in West Flanders within a stone’s throw of the French border. In that same year, the first barrels of "Ouden Tripel", what is today called "VanderGhinste Oud Bruin", rolled across the cobblestones in Bellegem and were renowned as far as French Flanders.
When Omer Vander Ghinste started the brewery in 1892, he gave his beers his own name, as this was common in those days. He promoted his beers by placing stained glass windows with the words “bieren Omer Vander Ghinste” in the front windows of the pubs. As these windows were very expensive, it was no option to replace them at every change of generation. Therefore every firstborn son was baptised ‘Omer’.
Influenced by the new "Pilsener Type" from Czechoslovakia, the brewery develops its own type of pils under the name "Ghinst Pils". That’s why, in 1929 the construction of a low fermentation tower was necessary.
The year after its construction the tower was already operating and now still dominates the rolling countryside of Bellegem. From the highway that connects Kortrijk to Tournai, one can clearly see the tower rising next to the church of Bellegem.