About Hastings Mill Brewing Company
Hastings Mill Brewing Company is named after the sawmill that was located at the foot of Dunlevy at the turn of the 19th century. Originally opened in 1867 as Stamp’s Mill, the mill was later renamed Hastings Mill in 1870 and was the cornerstone around which the settlement of what would eventually become Vancouver was situated. Locals shopped at the Hastings Mill General Store (museum now located in Point Grey, Vancouver), children attended the Hastings Mill School and the mill itself – one of the only buildings to survive the great fire in 1886 – was a valuable part of the local economy until its closure in the 1920s.
Thalia Stopa from Scout Magazine stopped by our newly-rebranded brewery recently and took time to sample our 6 taps of house-brewed beer. She deemed our Strawberry Honey Hefeweizen her favourite (good choice!)
While the name of our brewery may have changed from Pat’s Pub to Hastings Mill Brewing Company, we are still very much the same friendly pub brewery we’ve been hailed as from the start. As Stopa notes, “In true pub fashion, Pat’s ambience comes as much from regular patrons as its unpretentious anti-aesthetic, independent spirit and heart.”