About Narragansett Brewing Company
It all started with John H. Fehlberg, Augustus F. Borchandt, Herman G. Possner, George M. Gerhard, Constand A. Moeller, and Jacob Wirth. In 1888, these local businessmen—”The Original Six”—came together to form the Narragansett Brewing Company. With $150,000 in capital and funds from Butterine (Fehlberg’s predecessor to margarine), a brick brewing house was built. In December of 1890, the first beer was produced, and the following year the company officially incorporated.
A little trivia: Did you know that at one time, the grounds of the Narragansett Brewing Company included a barn, a stable, a blacksmith, seventy-five horses, forty-five wagons, gas-powered trucks, electric trucks, twenty-five refrigerated train cars and its own ice plant?
Getting back to our story, in 1891, the Narragansett Brewing Company concocted nearly 28,000 barrels of beer under the company’s promise of the purest ingredients, uncompromised cleanliness, and absolute perfection of brew. Let’s not forget about the brewers themselves, who poured their souls into every batch. Without their honor and merit, Gansett would never have had the chance to be so loved.
Then in 1914, when the company built the most modern bottling plant in the region, it became official: Narragansett Brewing Company was the largest lager beer brewery in New England.